Wednesday 7 November 2012

The importance of Harry Potter in my life x


Some of you won't embrace what you are about to read, but the hardcore Harry Potter fans might now what I'm on about.

People  say  that  an  important  part  of  childhood  is  making  friends  they  can  keep  with  them  for  years.  There  are  no  rules  which  state  that  these  friends  may  be  imaginary  or  not.
Before  the  age  of  seven  my  mum  introduced  me  to  the  beautiful  story  which  is,  Harry  Potter.  I  am  not  going  to  lie;  I  didn’t  appreciate  it.  I  don’t  think  you  should  blame  me  though;  what  seven  year  old  child  can honestly  comprehend  just  how  empty  and  alone  young  Harry  felt  in  his  cupboard  under  the  stairs?
It  wasn’t  until  I  was  alone  myself  that  I  turned  to  the  boy  who  lived  under  the  stairs.
I  had  seen  the  movies;  I  mean,  who  hasn’t?  They’re  always  on  around  Christmas.    The  books  which  I  received  from  my  Godfather  turned  out  to  be  more  than  a  Christmas  present,  they  were  a  form  of  reassurance,  a  safe  place,  even  a  best  friend,  maybe?
I’m  gonna  put  this  out   there;  being  a  teenager  is  vulgar!  You  have  to  look  and  act  a  certain  way,  the  way  society  wants  you  to,  and  if  you  don’t;  well  that’s  just  your  bad  luck!  Even  when  you  go  home  you  see  attractive  people  on  the  TV  and  internet  and  it’s  really  annoying.  Having  something  to  take  your  mind  off  things  makes  it  easier.  
        Harry  Potter  made  it  easier.  That’s  because  when  I  am  with  Harry,  Hermione  and  Ron  I  am  accepted.  They  don’t  mind  if  I  am  in  my  pyjamas  or  if  I  am  having  an  awful  day,  They  are  there  for  me.  As  well  as  Harry  saving  the  whole  wizarding  population,  he  is  saving  me too.
Not  only have  I  found  a  best  friend  in the  famous  trio,  but  I  have  discovered  a  little  bit  of  all  three  in  me,  Harry’s  bravery,  Hermione’s  wit,  and  Ron’s  way  of  always  seeing  sense  in  the  end.  I  cry  when  they  cry and  when  my  friends,  yes,  I  said  my  friends! When  my  friends  Fred,  RemuLupin  and  Tonks  all  die  in  the  first  battle  it  numbs  me.  Just  like  the  characters  in  the  book  I  long  for  them  to  come  back  so  much,  I  watch them  grow  through  the  years  Harry  is  going  to  school  and  yes;  I  have  grown  myself.
Young  Mr  Potter  lost  his  mother  just  after  his  first  birthday  and  I,  like  him  lost  my  mother at  a  tender  age. He  knows  what  it  feels  like  not  to  have  that  special  person  to  confide  in  and  my  all  time  favourite  moment from  all  the  books  is  when  he  walks  into  the  forbidden  forest  along  the  winding  path  to  his  date  with  destiny.   He  turns  the  resurrection  stone  over  in  his  hands  twice  and  his  mother  appears.  She  was  neither  dead  nor  alive,  but   she  was  there,  and  when  I  think  about  it  she has  never  really  left.
I  learn  something  new  every  day  but  Harry  Potter sent  me  one  very  important  message  through  the  words  of  Albus  Percivel  Wolfric  Brian  Dumbledore:  “Happiness  can  be  found  in  the  darkest  of  places,  if  one  only  remembers  to  turn  on  the  light".

Just your Average Teenage Wizard xo

2 comments:

  1. Loved it Maeve!! Such a great blog and a terrific talent you have. I'm seriously chopping onions here myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete